The Parliament Building was constructed between 1894 and 1902 according to plans drawn up by the architect Hans Wilhelm Auer, and was inaugurated on 1 April 1902 by the Federal Assembly.
In a way the building is the keystone between the west wing of the Federal Palace (erected between 1852 and 1857) and the east wing (1888-1892). It therefore completed and forms the crowning glory of this architectural ensemble. Through the building materials that were used, in particular the local green sandstone, the Parliament Building represents the whole of Switzerland.
Between 2006 and 2008, the building underwent a major renovation for the first time in its history, which included a number of major transformations.